Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Heehee

So, apparently someone with power called Jack Thompson on his assorted nonsense. And I giggle. Seriously, did he not see it coming?

On that note, a game review seems a necessary thing. I just got done playing through a bunch of backlogged stuff. It's amazing how close I was to beating a lot of my old games...moral of the story is quite apparent, thank you, and please leave it alone. One of them, Atelier Iris, sat there for an embarrassingly long time because I'd only beaten the tutorial session. Then I started playing, got to the story, got sucked in...it's a 30-some hour game, and I beat it in less than a week.

30h/week = not impressive in college. 30h/week when coupled with a job and an after school club and assorted other stuff? It's a good game. And I don't even usually like turn based stuff.

The story is semi-generic, a cross between every D&D game ever (you're nobody, now save the world) and Tales of Symphonia (oh noes! T3h mana are with t3h nonexistant!) However, the game is just plain goofy. It takes the cliches and warps them further.

There is a cat girl, for example, who has the irritating habit of adding meows to everything. ("I gotcha meow!" *whap!*) However, as any con attendee knows, it's a dangerous life as a catgirl. So, there's this crazy lazy who keeps popping out of nowhere in various wacked-out disguises, hellbent on touching the kitty's ears. It's pretty funny. They also break the 4th wall a lot. Create bunny ears in the armor shop, and they'll look at the screen and make snide remarks about weird otaku. (The game is anime-style.)

Fun times, fun times. And now I'm playing Bully all the way through...except I seem to have forgotten all the controls. Nota bene: You cannot skateboard UP a flight of stairs.

Who knew? :)

No comments: