Saturday, February 16, 2008

This whole "Future" thing is way overrated

New plan: Screw teaching. I will live in a cardboard box labeled the HMS MoonPie and eat slow-moving rats that venture within my domain. I will grow Venus flytraps and make crocheted doilies from shredded and woven newspaper to occupy my time.

It's a flawless plan, and involves no resumes, cover letters, job fairs, or other entirely unnecessary nonsense.

Thus far, I know of a couple schools who are very interested in me, a couple who are interested in me, a couple I'm interested in, and a couple I'm very interested in. The problem is figuring out to what degree the "I like" and the "They like" categories sync up. Eep. I wish I knew more about Baltimore's schools...

2 comments:

JHA said...

Take a couple deep breaths, Mairead. Have a cookie. If necessary, stab a few people. And then, when you are calm and serene, think about this. Repeat as necessary until a satisfactory solution has been found.

And ultimately, I think you should be thinking more in terms of what you like. Reach for the stars and who knows, maybe you'll catch one. Reach for the lamp on the desk in front of you and you might get burned. (Ok, maybe that sounded smarter in my head. But you get the idea.)

Mairead said...

Yes. Take out the lamp with a shotgun. THEN grab it. Got it. :)