Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Alright, take 2:

I'm still blood-boiling furious at Baltimore, but what's new about that? Now that I've ranted, I do actually need help/advice, so if you have any brilliant thoughts, please let me know.

Here's the problem: NJ takes educationl law seriously. That means that in order to be in a classroom, I need a NJ certificate. Most districts require that certificate itself (not a promise for it, not an application for it) when you apply. They don't even look at your paperwork otherwise. Individual schools are the same way.

I have my paperwork in for Jersey. I paid my exorbitant fee. They have everything -- except my MD certificate and a letter verifying my employment in Baltimore. Baltimore won't write me a letter unless the NJ Dept of Ed -- not me, not a copy of the requirements, but an official -- writes them a letter requesting it. (To put this in perspective, the letter is: "Dear Sir or Madam: This person worked for us from 8/19/2008 and will be released from contract on 6/09/2009. Kthxbai.") Okay, whatever. I can find some way around that. But, apparently, MD farms out the certification process to individual systems.

Baltimore isn't beginning to issue new teacher certificates until March.

Beginning. Not completing. Beginning.

They've had everything since July. I confirmed all the paperwork, even after they lost some, by the 31st. It's on the MSDE site. But it will take until March to get me the paper. This is rididulous. NJ, which processes centrally, takes 12 weeks. MD counties take less. Baltimore? 8 months. They process the new teachers last. It's a ploy to keep us from leaving.

The problem is that it works. This is where I need the help: what the hell do I do? I fall between most bailout systems. I "have" a MD certificate, so I have to apply under that category. That also puts me in the category where I have to have a NJ certificate in order to apply, since it's assumed that, if I'm serious, I took care of transferring the certification before applying.

I'm obviously going to call the systems and try to explain, but this is a major problem. Assuming Baltimore somehow actually backs up what it says and issues the certificate by the first week in March. It'll take about a week and a half to send to me, for me to send it to NJ, and for them to log it and start reviewing my application. Mid March. Then, there's a 12 week backlog before NJ is done. Mid June. If there's any backlog, or anything gets lost, that pushes awfully close to school starting. No principle is going to risk that. You cannot have an uncertified teacher in the class, and NJ actually cares about those rules.

The newly graduated teachers get around this, since their transcripts don't come out until May, but I think they have an interim certificate. I'm not sure how to find out, though. I called NJDE, and they were pretty sure that the waiver was only for new grads.

So...any brilliant ideas? I'm kind of panicking, frankly, since the private sector is abysmal right now and I'm not horribly hireable with an English degree and a Masters in Teaching. Careers? Ways to finagle a resume? Anything? Help?

3 comments:

JHA said...

First bit of advice: Breathe.

Second bit of advice (which is hopefully more useful): It is my understanding that a Master's of Education can be used for things other than teaching. Clare McLean, for instance, is working for the Park Service (or some similar delightfulness). It's not quite the same thing, but it might tide you over for a year. Clare having decided that she doesn't want to go into the public education arena would probably be an excellent person to talk to about things that aren't teaching but use the degree; if you haven't got any of her contact info, send me an email.

Third bit of advice: There's nothing to say that your paperwork won't get processed on time. I know that sounds like an invocation to Murphy, but it's quite possible that you're raising a tempest in a tea pot. Therefore, make back-up plans but remember that so long as we're ready for any eventuality, other eventualities won't come up.

Fourth bit of advice: See first bit of advice.

Al said...

Go Go Parent Rangers!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. These things, hard as it is to believe at times, do sometimes work out the way they need to.

Also, my mom did suggest that if it is possible, see if you can get the places in New Jersey where you are applying to "harass" the powers that be in Baltimore.