Thursday, January 8, 2009

Still alive

So, it's a new year. (*Waits for shocked exclamations. Waits some more.*) Ah...apparently that's not news. I just got over writing 2007 on all my documents, though, so I take this "new year" crap as a personal attack on the part of the calendar companies.

Not much news, frankly. This is the "no news is bloody excellent news" part of the school year, though. Nobody's announced that my school is getting combined with another, worse school, my principal hasn't written me up for anything insane yet, and no parents have talked to me. This makes for an excellent new year. Of course, we haven't even been back for a full week, so we'll see.

In happier news, this whole "GTFO of Bmore and move to Jersey" thing is starting to seem very real. I found a school that looks incredibly interesting. It's part of a set of charter schools in NY/NJ. The school's in Newark, and clearly a huge TFA hub. That's going to be either great or awful, so I'm going to visit and do my research and NOT make the same mistake twice. But...urban education, charter school (read: fuck the curriculum, we do our own thing), and aggressive dedication to improving inner city education? All for it.

Now I just have to make my resume not suck.

In other news: Sweet zombie velociraptor Jeebus, I am not smart enough to get married. Weddings are terrifying and complicated and we are eloping to someplace remote and simple where all we have to do is sign our names and swear we're not already married. Alex doesn't know about this yet. But that's how it's going to work. Because oh my god, there are HOW many types of flower arrangements to sort through? And we have to remember to bring pillars for the cake? And there are how many weird added fees?

You heard it here: remote location in Canada, officiated by a lumberjack and witnessed by a moose. Attire is casual; bring hiking boots. You're all invited.

5 comments:

JHA said...

What, pray tell, is a TFA hub? Is this something that the Terran Flight Authority has cooked up? Because they totally screwed me over on that last transfer saucer from Geidi Prime.

You are aware that the New Jerseyans have the most ridiculous weddings on the planet, right? Flamethrowers, strippers, elephants, the works. Personally, I'm in favor of the simple wedding – a church followed by a reception with some cake and possibly a barbeque (you're getting married in the summer, right?) – but then again, I will probably never have to plan a wedding, so it's easy for me to give advice.

Anonymous said...

Well, you could just do the courthouse thing. That would at least remove travel concerns. The only problem is the Clerk of the Court will officiate (at least in Maryland), not the lumberjack. Although depending on which county in Maryland you choose, they may be the same person.

Al said...

Hah. We totally do not have the most ridiculous weddings...

Personally I think it's a cultural thing. We're not shooting for a 8 course meal (read: standard Chinese Wedding). I'm pretty sure we're not going to have a DJ (read: I might be hiring a friend).

In fact, I don't think we have a clue as to what's happening yet...

That and we're getting married in DC (read: I'm not overly picky and Mairead is ;))

Jeremy said...

Ottawa is v. nice. V nice.

Unknown said...

Do you guys have a date yet?