The second advisory ends today, meaning I've survived half a year in this insane asylum. However, this is leading to all kinds of reflection. Namely...I can deal with these kids. I like these kids (most of the time, at least). And they are learning.
They're not learning great literature, per se, but they're getting the idea that you can actually read outside a class setting. (Kids are borrowing books to read at home.) They're starting to get some grammar concepts, and they aren't whining as much about writing.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe I can hack this education thing for another year or two. The question now becomes where to teach. If I can get an offer -- IF -- I'd like to see what a suburban classroom looks like. I've only set foot in a suburban school for Hopkins's summer training, and that hardly counts, but I remember it as the TV version of "school." You know...kids sit down, shut up, try, do work, and ask questions. Sometimes they bring their own pens and paper. Apparently, they actually read literature in the high schools. Kids are on grade level, so I could assign interesting reading.
But the urban schools are in trouble. Few people want to teach there, many are functionally retired but holding on to maintain a check, and the kids have problems that boggle the mind. (Seriously. You get used to one level of insane problems, and then a kid ups the ante.)
However, the urban schools are where I can actually make a difference. Yeah, it's a cliche, but for kids who have no parents or perpetually absent parents, who don't know anyone who's graduated from college, who hate reading (or can't read)...I'm actually doing something worthwhile. But, on the other hand, it IS a city school.
This is a pretty important dilemma, but I know where I'll wind up, if I can get a position. A charter school in Newark just emailed me back, and I nearly exploded with happy and yay and excited and wheeee!!
Phone interview next week!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Don't think that only inner-city students have the problems. Suburban and rural schools have their own problems. (Case and point: my high school. It had either the highest or second-highest poverty level of all the county high schools. And it is definitely rural.) But I think you'll make a difference no matter where you end up.
I agree with Josh, you'll make a difference wherever you are. The question is whether you're making a difference where a lot of other people are too or whether you're making a difference where there's a shortage of difference-makers. Either one is laudable and valuable.
Post a Comment