Sunday, June 8, 2008

Really, summer? Really? Is that necessary?

It's hot. It's really hot. And to add insult to injury, it's incredibly humid, too. The air is like soup. Now, the average intelligent human being should interpret this as a sign that the gods wish her to stay inside and play video games. Since I'm a bloody idiot, I went running, instead.

Ow. Holy crap, my lungs. Note to self: We are going to the gym next time.

However, since it was so hot that we got a spectacular lightning storm. Laura's apartment complex has a large lawn, so her windows have an excellent view of the sky with few buildings blocking. Theoretically, we were there to watch a movie. Instead, we turned out all the lights and watched the lightning for almost 2 hours.

The storm was amazing. DC has daily thunderstorms, yes, but it's still light out when they hit, and you can't see as much since there are buildings blocking the view. I didn't realize that lightning is so colorful. It has delicate, shell-like tones of pink and purple. I thought it was just yellow/white. Who knew?

Besides lightning, there's not too much going on. I have one more week of half days, then school's over with. The grades are in, the students are gone, and all that's left is to take down posters and pack up for the summer. It's unreal. I still fully expect "my" kids to walk back in on Monday, summer vacation be damned.

1 comment:

JHA said...

Yeah, lightning is pretty awesome to look at, especially if it's semi-close by and the sky is clear.

Mairead, I suggest serious reconsideration of your apparent stance towards summer vacation. At this rate, you'll start hibernating every summer, waiting to strike at students in the coming fall.

John

P.S.: I'll write you a response to your letter soon. For now, know that it got here safely.

"Ah, fall. When the leaves turn colors and schools start killing more kids..."
~ Stephan Adams