Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Occam's Razor for Weddings

The general annoyance and bother of the wedding has enabled very quick decisionmaking. Name change? Fuck it, don't feel like discussing any more. I'll take his name. Table arrangements, when half of my Mom's church friends are not on speaking terms with one another? If everyone has a chair, we're good. Scheduling? Cut-and-paste Excel spreadsheet.

It's the perfect marriage (hah.) of Occam's Razor and ennui: will it get the issue out of my face, no matter how temporarily? If yes, I agree.

Advice: don't get married. Elope, and focus a small portion of all this energy/money/time on staying happily married. It's NOT worth it. I can attest to this, I'm not even doing a big wedding.

My dreams have all revolved around the wedding for weeks, now. Not walking down the aisle, or dancing at the reception: I dream about creating table arrangements, maintaining the endless, mind-numbing spreadsheets of wedding data, tying program ribbons, clicking through hundreds of identical photos of linens/place settings/bouquets/cakes, and messing with the printer. My waking time? Wedding or worrying about undone wedding stuff. Alex is finally in the same city, and we're spending our free time folding programs, printing thank you notes, and freaking out about the wedding. Even during those (very.fucking.rare.) free and un-wedding-ed moments, someone invariably calls about the wedding.

The most hilarious part? It's NOT OVER after the wedding is over. We get to do this AGAIN in New Jersey. Slightly less stupid hoopla, since I flat out refused, but same stupid focus on traditions so arcane that the only person who knows how to explain them had to do independent research. It's very interesting to hear about Chinese banquets and how it's absolutely necessary to have yet another wedding celebration, but, seriously? Guys? JUST. COME. TO. THE. FUCKING. ORIGINAL. WEDDING. Kthx.

2 comments:

JHA said...

I shall be at the original wedding. I'm excited; I even have a small wedding day gift for you to make this all worth while.

Mairead said...

Thanks -- I'm trying to tell myself that I can ignore everyone I don't actually want to talk to, and just hang out with friends. We shall see if that works, or if I just royally offend relatives/Alex's relatives that I have yet to meet.