To put this in perspective:
1. I am a godawful creative writer.
I know that. Ask me if I care. This is never leaving the happy sanctuary of my
2. Attention span of a goldfish on spee...ooh, a shiny!
Options: Ritalin (no prescription), more neurons (that's my Christmas present), or lotsandlotsandlotsof coffeecoffeecoffeeEEEEEeeeEEEEEeeeeEEEEEE!! (*explodes into cloud of psychedelic espresso beans performing Bollywood hits*)
Seriously, though, the Works in Progress are numerous and, with about 10 exceptions, less than a page long. There is a reason for that. (Well, two: they mostly suck, and I have no drive to finish them.)
3. I cannt tipe gud.
I really should learn to touch-type one of these days. If you haven't seen me type, just picture a bespectacled, grumpy T-Rex trying to use a keyboard. Then, amputate 3 of its fingers. (I do a 3-fingered hunt-and-peck routine. It's speedier than it has any right to be, but still.)
It hindereth my progress, and keepeth me as a yeoman writer.
All that aside, I've decided to put my
In addition, while I'm not seeing spirits crawling around in the wallpaper (yet), the solitude (especially when Alex isn't home in the evening due to work or Wargaming stuff) and boredom are definitely getting to me. For example, I have started talking to inanimate objects (coffeepot, toaster, TV, video game characters, lamps) far more frequently and without realizing it until later. (They have not started replying, which gives me hope, but still.) Adding insomnia and a creepy, noisy house into that mix makes for a very twitchy me. So I've got a number of very vivid ways a house can seem to be out to get someone. (Let's start with the furnace. Has anyone in the audience read The Shining? If so, you know how my week is going, then.)
So, between my somewhat The Haunting of Hill House-esque residence, and my (still far off, but much closer than I'd like) The Yellow Wallpaper-esque mindset, I've got a decent story, character build, and setting. I also would like to stop talking to the coffeepot, and think that a concrete project, with a clear objective, might help me re-establish a schedule and deal with boredom.
...Maybe I'll read the first draft to the microwave. If it has editing suggestions, I'll know the project's objective was not met. And then I will move back to DC and check myself into St. Elizabeth's. (Good measure of success.)
1 comment:
Boredom? How I wish I remembered what that was like... Right now, I have too many things to be properly bored, let alone write something entertaining.
But yes, you should write. And then you should send me said writings so that I might read them and be happy.
Post a Comment