So, Thanksgiving is over. I baked my first two pies. And, in my infinite wisdom, I decided those first two pies should be the ones I took to the inlaws for Thanksgiving dessert. Without trying out the recipes first. (Yes. I am an idiot. I agree completely.)
The pies were...okay. Other people liked them, so that's nice. Maybe it's because I spent so long on those stupid pies (I was up til 3:30 am baking the apple) or because I have unrealistic expectations, but I was expecting them to be more flavorful, more melting, more...yeah, you get the picture.
So. Victory will be mine. I just aquired a REAL PIE PAN. (Oooh, aaaaah.) As in, Pyrex versus the 79 cent tinfoil ones. And pies will be baked. And, eventually, with my unstoppable technique, I will bake a delicious pie.
It shall be so.
In the meantime, since it's the holidays, cooking magazines are trying to kill me by posting recipes for sugary things. I'm trying one new dessert per week, while trying to mill through my backlog of "must try this" recipes. To give that some perspective, my "must try this" file is a folder about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick, stuffed with clippings. That also doesn't count all the online stuff.
In addition, I'm trying to finish all my outstanding creative projects. Crocheting that stupid afghan, finishing those socks (or dying in the attempt, most probably impaled on a tiny, double-pointed knitting needle), hemming and trimming that skirt, lining those purses, etc.
While it seems dippy and pointless on the one hand, I want to keep busy. Work starts, in earnest, in about a week, but my mood and motivation are slipping at record speed, and I don't want to be a basket case as I start working. (Especially since waiting tables turns the sanest person INTO a basket case by the end of the first shift. And the sanest person, I am not.)
This blog has been and is a number of things -- forum for book and video game reviews, rant soapbox, boring daily life updates -- so I don't feel too bad about summarily turning it into a craft and cooking review for a couple weeks.
Upcoming recipes:
Chocolate Babka
Light Dinner Rolls
Brandy-Brined Pork
Cipollina Onions with Bacon and Apples
Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
(And that's just tomorrow's dinner...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay cooking! It must be nice to have a domestic significant other; I always seem to be the one who takes care of cooking in my household.
"Crocheting that stupid afghan" made me giggle, because I'm silly. (It sounded like the verb form of crotchety, which sounds quite delightful.)
Post a Comment