2 days in, and they haven't lit anything (including me) on fire. I count this as a victory. Of the very highest order. It's amazing how different the periods are.
I have 3 classes of 9th graders, one of which is an inclusion class. (So, at least 1/2 special ed.) They're fantastic. They discuss, they listen, they volunteer, they get excited...it's amazing. And these are the hard kids. (Hah.)
My "smart" class (ability wise, at least) I already have on notice. They did silent work today. And tomorrow...looks like the same. That's kind of a victory, though. They were testing me and trying to get me mad. Now, they're doing what they're told and shutting up. We'll see if it lasts. I predict Boot Camp mode for at least a couple weeks this year.
This should be an interesting year...dun dun dun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
A lot of times, the smart kids have figured out the system.
You could see if Nick will come in dressed as a drill sergeant. After all, if the kids don't respect you, fear is the next best thing.
I'm the wrong Nick, but I'll terrorize any children that need it.
Two things you need to remember about 9th graders: 1)They will be tried as minors, so don't give them any opportunities to get away with anything. 2)Most of the population has at some point had a child that age, and that gives you a good percentage chance of a jury not convicting you of killing the little bastards.
It's odd that the "hard" kids are being all nice and the "smart" ones are being all stupid. And here I was with naive ideas that smart people stayed in school because they wanted to graduate. Good luck instilling fear into them.
I know a lot of brilliant people who were just too lazy or just didn't care about the "standard" or "normal" career paths. Smart asses, etc.
You'd be surprised about how many "dumb" kids are really bright, but just don't apply themselves.
I think you'll do just fine though, despite what has happened. If anything happens, I'll show them some of my friends...
Post a Comment