The PRAXIS was...surprising. The Content Area test should, by all rights, have been far scarier. Every grammar rule, every word, every nitpicky testable area, every writer, everything ever written or translated into English...all fair game.
However, the ETS writers seemed to try to alleviate some of the "AW, CRAP! I'm an idiot, how will I pass this?" panic. They started out with easy stuff. Namely, the introductory stanzas of The Divine Comedy. I nearly laughed out loud. Abandon all hope, indeed.
Pedagogy was a whole different kettle of rotting, mercury-laden fish. 7 essays in 1 hour is not good news for talkative people like yours truly. We'll see if I talked them into thinking I could teach Julius Caesar and edit papers. We'll see.
The most infuriating thing was that I read all these dubious classics and carefully ignored Dickins. (We have a long time feud.) Of course, guess who's got two novels on the list of possible essay topics? Yep. Oh well. Caesar saved me on that one.
Later today: Les Mis. Les Argh. It is redolent of...je ne sais quoi? Danielle Steel? Plot convenience that would make George Lucas blush? All of Le Above?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How long is one of these "essays," might I ask? Seven in one hour? More like seven paragraphs...
Why the adversarial relationship to Dickens? What's he ever done to you?
The examples given are all real essays. Like, multi-paragraph. I'm assuming that's not what the ETS crew expected, though...they certainly didn't get it from me. They give you 2 pages per essay, though.
Post a Comment